Engine: 830 CC Single Cylinder overhead valves.
Transmission: Three Speed
Colour: Green & White
Accessories: Original Wicker Side chair.
This 1911 Excelsior motorcycle is in original condition, complete with original wicker side chair.
Manufactured in Coventry, England, all workmanship and engineering is to the highest possible standard, and remains in great condition 108 x years later since its birthday in 1911.
All metal finishing are original and in great condition, with the paintwork and finishing having been maintained over its 108 year old history.
A single cylinder engine of 50 x Cubic Inches (830 x cubic Centimeters) drives this three speed beauty, and has been active in the New Zealand motorcycle rally and club scene over many years.
All wheels and running gear are in great condition, and have been well maintained.
If you want to own a genuine piece of motorcycling history, culture, and pride, please contact us to discuss pricing and options.
Excelsior last manufactured a motorcycle in 1964 and folded in 1965. Britax, a car accessory company bought the name and produced limited numbers of Britax-Excelsior machines in the late 1970s.
Excelsior, based in Coventry, was a British bicycle, motorcycle and car maker. They were Britain’s first motorcycle manufacturer, starting production of their own ‘motor-bicycle’ in 1896. Initially they had premises at Lower Ford Street, Coventry, and 287-295 Stoney Stanton Road, Hillfields, Coventry, Warwickshire before moving to Kings Road, Tyseley, Birmingham in 1921.
Originally a bicycle company making penny-farthings in 1874 under their original name: Bayliss, Thomas and Co, they later sold bicycles under the names of Excelsior and Eureka and changed the company name to Excelsior Motor Co. in 1910. In the early years of motor-bicycle manufacture they used Minerva, De Dion, MMC and possibly a Condor 850 cc single but went on to produce a wide range of machines with engines from most major manufacturers. In 1914, they offered a JAP-powered twin. A deal to supply the Russian Imperial government with motorcycles ended with the Revolution and Excelsior wound up with an excess inventory as a result.
The Walker family (father Reginald and son Eric) took over after World War I. R Walker & Sons of Tyseley, Birmingham had started as makers of ships lamps but in 1919 had made a range of motorcycles under the Monarch name to be sold by the London Department store Gamages. The company was re-registered as the Excelsior Motor Company Ltd, production moved to Birmingham and the Lower Ford Street factory in Coventry sold to Francis-Barnett. They made a range of motorcycles from 98 to 1,000 cc, mostly powered by JAP, Blackburne and Villiers engines, plus an 850 cc Condor engine. The new company put more effort in competition and racing. To avoid confusion with the American maker of the same name, they called themselves the "British Excelsior".